I decided last night that I have got to get a thicker skin to handle all the Tornado warnings I am sure we will witness with our new home.
A friend had just come over and the girls were having a great time playing in their room. I was busy watching a movie. It had been a gloomy day and we were just taking it easy. Suddenly the phone rings and it is the neighbor (and friends mom) she says "oh good you have the TV on and are in the basement." I say, "uh no I am watching a movie and we are upstairs." It was at that moment that I finally heard the sirens. She said, "we should be fine, but get in your basement. It is supposed to hit in 24 minutes."
I start to panic a bit, but gather the kids up and heard them to the basement and the play room. I am so grateful we moved a TV down there at Christmas time. I turn on the TV and we are right in the path of the storm. Thank goodness the girls were just content to play and were oblivious to what was happening. I finally get in touch with King J at work, so he has one more thing to worry about with the audit he is already handling this week at work.
Long story short, there wasn't ever a full tornado formed. Conditions were just perfect for one. We learned we have a perfect basement for going to for protection. I also learned I need to have the box of candles accessible in case the power is cut.
I am positive this wasn't the last we will see while living here. I am sure over time I will get more used to it and not freak out so much. Can we just build a little bubble around our house to keep us safe?
A friend had just come over and the girls were having a great time playing in their room. I was busy watching a movie. It had been a gloomy day and we were just taking it easy. Suddenly the phone rings and it is the neighbor (and friends mom) she says "oh good you have the TV on and are in the basement." I say, "uh no I am watching a movie and we are upstairs." It was at that moment that I finally heard the sirens. She said, "we should be fine, but get in your basement. It is supposed to hit in 24 minutes."
I start to panic a bit, but gather the kids up and heard them to the basement and the play room. I am so grateful we moved a TV down there at Christmas time. I turn on the TV and we are right in the path of the storm. Thank goodness the girls were just content to play and were oblivious to what was happening. I finally get in touch with King J at work, so he has one more thing to worry about with the audit he is already handling this week at work.
Long story short, there wasn't ever a full tornado formed. Conditions were just perfect for one. We learned we have a perfect basement for going to for protection. I also learned I need to have the box of candles accessible in case the power is cut.
I am positive this wasn't the last we will see while living here. I am sure over time I will get more used to it and not freak out so much. Can we just build a little bubble around our house to keep us safe?
5 comments:
Whew. I was glad I happened online about that time, although I did worry until I heard you were safe-er from that storm. Jake was a bit muddled though. Now he HATES that you live in Georgia! (worrier that he is, you know)
That would totally freak me out too. I'm all for the bubble!
Tornados scare the junk right out of me. Remember when we were driving through Kansas and the sky was green? Creepy. I'm glad you're safe.
I experienced that a couple of times when I spent a summer in Kansas. It was way scary! I am glad you are safe. By the way we got the package and we were thrilled. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful, we love you guys!
Whoa! Those Midwestern weather scares are nuts. I remember riding my bike in Normal, IL when a tornado alarm went off. Valgardson and I pedaled fast to our tiny apartment and her idea of safety was to get in the bathtub, since we didn't have a basement. Oh, the mission memories. Sigh.
Post a Comment