Friday, February 1, 2008

Our Miracle Baby

I have had a hard time wanting to post this because I have gotten a bit emotional thinking back at the last 5 years of this little girls life. I knew that it would bring lots of emotions to the surface.

Have miracles ceased upon the earth? I say no! Can God still do anything that he wants, despite what modern science may say? I say yes. We have living breathing proof right here in our little family.
5 years ago at this time, I was in the first trimester of my very healthy pregnancy. Things were good, going as they should. We were making plans for the little baby girl that would soon be joining our family. We had plans of how the nursery would look, what we might name her and more than enough time to prepare for her arrival. Little did I know how much can change in just a few short weeks.
Our little Princess decided to make her debut to this world a little early. She came out all see through, and well, not well cooked. At 26 weeks, and weighing 1 lb and 10 oz, her future wasn't very bright. It was a good thing I was knocked out, but I am not sure if I wouldn't have been in a daze anyway. How does this happen?
She had several challenges, but not nearly the challenges that some of the other kids in the NICU had. I remember going to the weekly mother support groups and listening to what other mothers were dealing with and being grateful for the trials my little one was facing.



She came home a day before her due date 14.5 weeks after she had her first glimpse at this big world. I knew there would be lots of therapy and delays to look forward to. The drs and specialists made us understand just what we were up against with a baby born as early and small as she was. To keep in mind her corrected age and not to compare her to other kids her age because she will be behind for a long time.
Our first victory came when she graduated from her early intervention after only a few visits at about 18 months, "Because she is doing so well and is right on schedule."
Many other miracles have come over the years as we have watched and witnessed her turning into the little princess that we now know. In the state of Utah, the health department follows kids born under a certain birth weight until they are 5. We go up to the office 1-2 times a year and see a whole array of specialists. Since she will be turning 5 in a few months we just attended our last visit (despite the fact that they have told me for the last few years that it would be the last, this one really was the last).

The pediatrician was heard to say, "You realize she is totally throwing off our curve for kids born under 1000 grams? (she was about 600) "She will be an example of truly what miracles these little ones can be for a long time." The psychiatrist after giving her about a half hour of testing said, "You realize what a smart little cookie you have here right? She is 4.5 years corrected, and is testing out above the 6 year old level. Your really going to be challenged with helping her not to be bored once she gets into school, she is so smart."



Again I say, NO miracles have not ceased. He loves us now, more than ever!!




3 comments:

Rochelle said...

Oh my sweet little Mills! You are truly a miracle. We love you so much! I really think that you guys NEED to come out here... I miss you way too much.

It's Beautiful Here said...

Wow Missie, way to bring an emotional moment in. I am glad you did this post. I love reliving the beautiful miracles that we are given in life. WE love you Millie!1

B.G. Christensen said...

That's great that she's doing so well. I remember how worried we were when we heard you'd had her so early--five years makes a lot of difference!