Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pioneer Day 07

Utah celebrates 2 holidays in July. The first is the 4th and the 2nd is the 24th of July, or Pioneer day. It is a day when we celebrate the pioneers as they came into the Salt Lake valley. Well the city where we live holds a children's parade where each of the wards makes a float and the primary kids get to ride it. Well this year I was in charge as I am the primary president. I tried to get out of it, because July was so busy for us. But I was told it would be a big disappointment to the kids if we didn't participate. So I learned to delegate and it was a lot of fun. The theme was "Our Children's Legacy" In this picture you can see, we took it a little further. The activity day girls made the fruit and veggie posters, my two counselors made the tissue paper flowers, and the webelo scouts helped assemble the trailer into our cute float.
Here are our 2 cute pioneer girls. It was fun seeing princess E wear my little pioneer bonnet.

It had been raining for a few days so we were not sure if we would be having the parade. It did end up raining on us, but it was welcomed because it was so hot. We kept a cooler of otter pops on the back of the trailer and just kept them coming. I was supposed to walk beside the float and help the kids stay on, but I ended up riding on the bumper of the truck after I had run along side the float for a few blocks. The driver was great at stop, hurry catch up, stop, hurry catch up. So I was beat and sweating like crazy. I am sorry I don't have a picture of that for your viewing pleasure. :)

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

What cutie-pa-tootie little pioneers! I remember that hat!