So anyone who knows me knows that I have been using coupons for a while now. When you are a couponer you learn what type of cashiers to use. Which ones will give you a hard time and who you steer clear of at each store.
Today I had several errands to run and one of them included going to my usual grocery store. Since it is MLK day the girls were with me. As we left the house princess M holds up a tiny sea shell and says "I am going to take this with me and make someone happy today." I said "OK, just get in the car!"
So we make it to the store and I have a cart full of items. I had a coupon to go with each item, so a big stack. The only 2 lanes open were the 10 item or less and another one. I knew I couldn't go to the 10 items, but the other lane had my least favorite cashier. She always gives me a hard time. She is an older lady and I have learned to go to another line even if hers is shorter. But I didn't have another option. So I braced myself for the fight that was to ensue. I could see the look in her eyes as I handed her my stack of coupons and she started ringing everything through.
Princess M, standing in front of me and looking up through the machines says "Um, excuse me, this is for you." She was holding up her tiny sea shell. The cashier looked down at her and looks at me with a funny look on her face and says "Thank you?" I quickly respond, "she wanted to give someone her special sea shell to make them happy today."
A huge smile came across her face and she held it to her chest and said "Oh thank you, I will take good care of it and take it home with me." Princess M smiled and walked off to look at the candy.
The cashier finished ringing up all of my items and all of my coupons, a few of which I had unintentionally cut off half of the expiration's, (something that would have set her off before) Then she handed me my receipt and said " It was a pleasure to help you with all of your coupons today and you saved so much money by using them." (she hasn't been so nice about my savings in the past, basically telling me I was ripping the store off)
It was such a simple lesson Princess M taught me today. A little love for someone goes a long way. (I'll just have to remember my sea shells each time. : )
8 comments:
What a great story! How something so simple can change a person's whole day and attitude! Thanks for sharing!
Note to self: Keep sea shells with me when I visit that Publix and I know exactly who you are talking about. That was sweet of Princess M!
We were at the Birmingham Publix and there's a guy there and he had a short line and I just refused to go over there!
I love it! Way to go, Princess M! You just never know who needs some love.
How sweet of your little girl!
That made me tear up as I was reading it. She is such a special girl. Great job being a good example for her!
Every now and then she blows us away (in between the times she is pretending to be a cat/dog/frog/enter-your animal here) :)
I realize the post I just posted comes after this very sweet and tender blog post...at first I was like...oh crap...but now I just hope it adds to effectiveness of it. :)
Awesome!
Post a Comment