Last night I spent the evening at the Magna Dry pack Cannery. For those of you who have never been to an LDS cannery, it is a little like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. They don't make candy or have a chocolate river, of course, but the workers wear white aprons and blue rubber gloves and there is a lot of stainless steel.
There's a great deal of excitement in the air when you first get there because you are allowed to place an order. I was excited because it has been a while since I have been and our food storage has been pretty depleted. They have many great food storage essentials from flour and sugar to dehydrated apples and carrots. With a whole array of things in the middle. With 5 cases of goods in my trunk I was ready to start my shift.
We were asked to can the sugar and hot chocolate mix last night. My first job was to scoop up the sugar into the #10 cans. Then they would go down the line and get sealed. After the sugar was all done I moved onto the sealing machine. It was fun doing the hot chocolate because as the lid was sealing the chocolate powder would puff out and smell really good. It was fun, until I broke the sealer machine. One of the lids decided to wrap up instead of down. I am sure it was fun for the worker to get the lid unsealed from the machine.
I did learn some interesting things while there though. Like the dehydrated re fried beans are the same ones that Taco Bell uses. And that there is a rumor that the hot chocolate is the same as Stephens gourmet hot coco. That in May, you will be able to take classes from the cannery on how to use the items in your food storage and how to rotate your food.
I wish I had taken some pictures, but here is one that I found on the Internet that gives you an idea of what it is like and just how cute you are when you are doing a shift.

No comments:
Post a Comment