Start with 2 white cake mixes. Make individually following package directions. Divide each cake into 3 parts and color with food coloring. (Wilton gels work best) Bake according to pkg. directions in 6 cake pans (I only had 2 cake pans so I just put lids on the rest until the pans were available. Do this step a few days before you want to make the cake. You freeze the cakes wrapped in plastic wrap while still a little warm to keep the moisture in. This makes frosting the cake so much easier and less crumbs.
When you are ready to frost and assemble, use a really stiff frosting since it is such a tall cake. I used a Swiss meringue butter cream that was recommended to me, but I thought it was nasty. I had a hard time eating it (even though everyone else liked it) because I knew that it contained 14 egg whites and 6 sticks of butter. (yeah you heard me right) It kept it together well, but in the future I will use my regular butter cream recipe.
This next step is crucial. You make sure you have the cutest little cooks available to cut out all of the fondant stars. They do an excellent job and get to work those large motor skills.
Ta Da! So pretty to cut into.
Such a fun cake.
4 comments:
That is INCREDIBLE!!!! You are such a good cook. Seriously. I wish I liked to spend time in the kitchen...
That is Freakin Awesome!! You did crazy good!
was this just for fun, or for a special occasion? Looks super yummy!
It was for Megan's birthday. Nancy asked me if I would make her a cake with stars on it. I had been looking for a reason to make this cake and it was perfect.
Post a Comment