Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Where were you born? Where did you grow up?

I was born in Rexburg Idaho in Madison Memorial Hospital. I was 7 lbs even (correct me if I'm wrong mom) Not sure on the inches. It was around 6 pm (again mom, exact time?).

Funny story about before and after I was born. I lived in the same apartment the whole time I was at college as my parents did when they shared bunk beds and I came to be. :) Don't worry I slept in the other room. It was kinda fun to have a connection to the first place I lived away from home. :)

I grew up my early years in Ogden Utah. In 3rd grade my parents moved to Provo where we lived until I came home from my mission. I loved growing up in Provo. We lived in a cul de sac, come to think of it, all but 1 of the homes I remember living in were in cul de sacs. :) There were always lots of kids around and plenty of trouble to get into. I remember playing and playing. Some of our favorite times were spent playing house out in the club/playhouses. Or family band, we all would choose an instrument and lip sync to the radio or the 8 tracks. I was the singer, Matt on guitar, Kyle on drums and Chelle was the dancer. Store and office were also favorite games. My siblings and I had SO much fun just playing with each other. Of course being the oldest sister I was pretty bossy and wasn't ever afraid to share my opinion.

I almost always shared a bedroom with my sister Chelle, and later during the teen years it was Chelle, Megan and I. Chelle and I would always have power struggles as to who had to turn the light off. She would never do it and say I can just sleep with the light off. To which I would reply, well so can I! But I would always end up getting up and turning it off because she really could but I preferred it dark.

I grew up in a home where we learned the value of work. We always had jobs. We felt like we were the only kids on the block that had so many jobs to do. They had to be done before school, and before the bus came or we would have to walk. And Saturday we had deep cleaning jobs. I remember the bathrooms were always on the top of Chelle and my lists. And if it wasn't done the way mom taught us, the right way, we would have to keep doing it again until it was right.

We also grew up having family scripture study every morning. Dad was the early riser. He would come in around 5:30-5:45 singing "It's so nice to get up in the morning when the sun begins to shine!" then the light came on. We would drag ourselves upstairs and try to pay attention.

All in all, I had a great childhood. I am so thankful for the opportunities provided to me and the experiences my parents created for us.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

So fun! This brought back tons of memories for me... thanks for posting. I hope you keep it up!

Anna....of Anna's Quilting Designs said...

Hmmm, had to go look it up. Don't have the exact height and weight, but you were born at 5:27 p.m. You and Chelle were 1 oz different, but again can't remember which one had the extra ounce tacked on. It seems you were 20" long...though I'll have to look further. Did I write it in your little journal I kept? Do you have that or do I? I thought it would be on the birth certificate, but it's not. Also, thanks for the memories!!! Love you....