Thursday, December 17, 2009

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

We are very big on family traditions at our house. Especially at Christmas time. My mom and dad did a wonderful job at creating such wonderful memories for us as kids and it made Christmas time that much more magical.
There are a few things that we have carried over from my family and King J's. But we also have created some of our own.
One of the traditions the girls and I do each year is make cinnamon applesauce ornaments for the tree. It started because we were too poor to buy ornaments so I had t0 come up with some great home made things.








The recipe is simple.

Equal parts cinnamon and apple sauce. I find the dollar store carries the medium size containers of cinnamon and then I just use whatever apple sauce I have on hand. (Sometimes I have to add a little more cinnamon if it is too wet.)

Mix it together until it is dough like. (usually have to kneed it by hand as it is really thick.)

Roll out like you would a cookie dough and go to town with the cookie cutters. Remember to use a straw to poke a hole near the top for a ribbon.

Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and either leave alone for a few days or bake in a 200 degree oven for 3 hours. Flipping half way through.



Hands will be ultra messy. Your nose will be on over load. But you will have a ball.

Once they are completely dry, string a ribbon through and hang on your tree, or wreath, or give to friends.

The heat from your tree lights will warm up the cinnamon and your house will smell great. (but not overpowering)

You can keep them for a few years. But we just toss them at the end of the season since they are very brittle and we enjoy making them each year.

1 comment:

It's Beautiful Here said...

I love this..we make actual gingerbread men ...like the cookie recipe for ours..we have been doing that for a few years now..My girls love helping to do that every year...But I think I will try this recipe..Looks awesome!